Friday, May 24, 2013

Dressed Up Birthday Kit

Despite having all the components to create the card as designed in Stampin' Up!'s Dressed Up Birthday Kit, I decided to invest in the kit anyway -- figuring it would greatly increase the chances that I would actually MAKE the card.  My plan worked!  The very day my SU! order arrived, I tore into this kit and started playing.  Interestingly, not one of these cards is exactly how the kit designer had in mind.  They're all very similar, but each one has a little tweak to make it slightly different.

For example, on this first card, the fancy edge was my idea.  To be honest, I was just covering a flub, lol.  After I stamped the Happy Birthday sentiment, I realized that it was way too far over to the left, so the punched border was the perfect solution to recenter it.


I rounded the corners on this next one (and the rest of them, since I liked the look so much better), added a clear faceted button instead of the little vanilla rose, and switched to a different sentiment.


This next one was a close to original design as I got, the only differences being the rounded corners and the pearl necklace.



How about a woodgrain button instead of a rose?


And finally, my favorite!  I messed up a card base and then found I was completely out of Crumb Cake card stock.  The solution was to switch over to a Strawberry Slush card base, which also gave me the perfect excuse to cut into a piece of 2013-2015 In Color card stock for the first time.  Ohh, how I love my Strawberry Slush!


Inside of the card:
  

And, of course, matching Very Vanilla envelopes:


I hope I remember to come back to this project and create some more cards like these.  All it would take to reproduce them would be:

Stamp sets:  Elements of Style, sentiment(s) of your choice
Card stock:  Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla
Ink:  Soft Suede
Stampin' Write markers in your choice of colors
Dress Up Framelit dies
White doilies
5/8" Flower Trim
Sponge or sponge dauber

My own additions include:  Border punch of choice, clear faceted buttons, wood grain buttons, self-adhesive pearls, corner rounder, twine

Thanks for stopping by to see these cards!  I have more eye candy for you, but will put those in a different post.

Smiles,
Joyce Spear (a.k.a. StamperJoyce)
  

2 comments:

christina d said...

Beautiful cards. I have that kit too as soon as I find it after my move I'm gonna play too!butlemsa and

rush said...

love the cards...a little vintage chic? hmmm... love the strawberry slush. it goes so well with the flowers on the dress form. too bad about not having enough crumb cake! good save!