Friday, October 28, 2016

World Card Making Day 2016, Part 3

I started this post last week and then promptly forgot about it. Please tell me I'm not losing my mind.

Anyway, these are the last four cards I made to celebrate WCMD with StampNation this year. 

Card 1
The theme for this challenge was Globes, and while there was an inspiration board to gather ideas from, I chose to keep it simple and straightforward. A friend cut some shapes on her Silhouette for me last month, and this was a full card idea in the Silhouette store. I took the cut white pieces of cardstock and sponged ink on them to bring them to life. I computer-generated the sentiments both on the front and inside.


Inside:

Stamps: None
Ink: Real Red, Marina Mist, Gumball Green, Daffodil Delight (SU)
Paper: White (Recollections, Staples)
Accessories: Silhouette, Sparkle pen (Spectrum Noir), Stampin’ Dimensionals (SU)

Card 2
I made this card to meet the first challenge theme given on Friday morning, which was "Where in the world...?" The idea was to showcase our home countries by featuring some element that reminds us of them. Being from the USA, I wanted to do a 4th of July themed card, and was excited to pull out my Pyrotechnics stamp set from The Ton. I'm really pleased with how this turned out. I used glittery embossing powders for the fireworks, and they shimmer a LOT when the light hits them. Before I embossed, though, I used distress inks to color the background. The city skyline is one of the things my friend cut for me on her Silhouette. (I think I might have to get one of those things or something similar!) I love the sentiment, which came with fireworks stamp set.


Inside:

Stamps: Pyrotechnics (The Ton)
Ink: Squeezed Lemonade, Fossilized Amber, Spun Sugar, Victorian Velvet, Tumbled Glass, Blueprint Sketch, Chipped Sapphire, Wilted Violet (Ranger Distress Inks), VersaMark (Tsukineko)
Paper: Distress Watercolor (Ranger), Basic Black (SU)
Accessories: Citiscape Border (Silhouette store), Blue, Red, Copper, and Silver Fire Opal Double Delight embossing powder (Embossing Arts), Glimmering Gold embossing powder (SU), Detail Gold embossing powder (Stampendous)

Card 3
The challenge theme for this card was Maps, and I was baffled when I first saw it... until an outdated map of my old stomping grounds when I lived in Wisconsin fell into my lap while I was going through some old papers. I noticed there was lots of orange, yellow, and green on the map; and then it occurred to me to make an Autumn-y leaf collage. I mixed the leaves I cut from the map with ones I stamped from the Stampin' Up set Lighthearted Leaves. I created my collage on a background of Brutus Monroe watercolored paper, sponged some of the leaves, and then used two of the stamps from The Ton's Pyrotechnics set (which I hadn't yet put away after making the previous card) to gold emboss some areas of texture on top of everything. I then cut a hole in the panel and gold embossed 'For You' in that space. The last step was to adhere the panel to the card base with Stampin' Dimensionals. The card turned out better than I expected!


The inside is simply a strip, leftover from when I cut the panel down to size, along one side of a stitched layer of Whisper White.

Stamps: Lighthearted Leaves, Thoughtful Branches (SU), Pyrotechnics (The Ton)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Soft Suede, Cajun Craze, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive, Garden Green, Crushed Curry, Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant (SU), VersaMark (Tsukineko)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Whisper White (SU), Watercolor Elements Paper Pad (Brutus Monroe), Old map of Waukesha, WI
Accessories: Leaves dies (SU), Detail Gold embossing powder (Stampendous), Stampin’ Dimensionals

Card 4
I had planned for the previous card to be the last of my WCMD creations, but then a friend from StampNation requested that we create and send cards for his neighbor's mother who is turning 100 on November 2. (I can't even imagine being alive that long. Wow!) It immediately occurred to me to use bright primary colors since she'll probably already be getting a lot of sweet pastel colored floral cards for her birthday. Not long after that I remembered that a lot of countries use the primary colors for their flags - and then I realized my card would fit perfectly for the Flag challenge!


Inside:

Yep, I had to use the Pyrotechnics stamp set just one more time before putting it away. I couldn't get the fireworks to shimmer for the photo, but they will definitely flash when she opens the card. I wrote a personal note to the birthday girl and sent it off to my friend with hopes that it will bring a smile when it reaches the centenarian.

Stamps: Number of Years (SU), Pyrotechnics (The Ton)
Ink: Real Red (SU)
Paper: Real Red, Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White (SU)

Accessories: Sunburst thinlits, Large Numbers framelits (SU), Celebration Words: Script (Sizzix), Stitched Rectangles die (SSS), Stitched Circles dies (SSS); Blue, Red, and Silver Fire Opal Double Delight embossing powder (Embossing Arts), Glimmering Gold embossing powder (SU), Stampin’ Dimensionals

* * * * * * * * * * * *
This wraps up almost a month's worth of World Card Making Day projects. I did nine out of twelve challenges, which I think is pretty respectable, although I would have loved to do all twelve. I may come back to the remaining three challenges at some point and finish them up just to be able to say I did.

What's coming next? you ask. Tomorrow I will be posting a couple of small gifts I made to give to my nurse and home health aide, and then I need to make a few cards for birthdays or 'Thinking of You.' And then the fun begins... time to get started making holiday cards! I'm really looking forward to putting on the Christmas music, making some hot chocolate, and rolling up my sleeves to get busy!

Thanks for sticking with me! I know this was a long post, but I do appreciate that you took the time to look.

Big Smiles,
Joyce Spear a.k.a. StamperJoyce
         

No comments: