Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Asian Artistry

I wanted to play with the Level 2 Hostess Set Asian Artistry today, but I wasn't feeling terribly adventurous -- so ended up with three pretty simple cards.



My dear friends in North Carolina (Hi Katie! Hi Fonda!) introduced me to the Dotted Wave edger punch from EK Success by punching up a pile of SU! cardstock for me to use as card bases or whatever. (I know you're shocked to read that as soon as I saw the borders this punch makes, I had to get a punch of my own!) That batch of cardstock was calling out to me this afternoon to be used, so that's how I ended up resurrecting my old color friend Wild Wasabi for this first card.



Colors: Wild Wasabi and Almost Amethyst

Additional Supplies: Keytag punch, pastel and dragonfly brads from my stash, Stampin' Dimensionals






My second card is similar, but this time colors are Certainly Celery and Cameo Coral.






As sweet as these two cards came out, I was starting to put myself to sleep, so I dragged out a different punch, this one by Martha Stewart, and decided to make a vertical card. Colors are yummy Burmuda Bay, Cameo Coral, and Basic Black. I don't have my new In Color markers yet -- they're on their way! -- so I opted to use a watercolor brush to color in the bird with Burmuda Bay reinker. Despite reading a million times (not that I ever exaggerate) about the quality issues with the Burmuda Bay inkpads and reinkers, I puzzled for awhile over why the bird wasn't the same color as the card base. (Did I mention my brain was a bit sluggish today?) Mental note: Do not use the Burmuda Bay inkpad or reinker until I have my replacements!






Oh! I almost forgot to mention... See those three black dots on the card? Those are not brads. (Gasp!) I thought I'd be hip and trendy and do what the big girls are all doing these days; namely, I used a hand hole punch to make the circles and then covered them with Crystal Effects. Then began the grueling work of watching a two-hour movie (A Room with a View) while the CE dried before I could finish assembling the card.



Ohh!! I got the COOLEST card today that I can't wait to show you! I tried to take a picture of it tonight, but I just couldn't do it justice. You'll have to wait until my new camera (*see Joyce do her happy dance*) arrives so that I can get a decent photo of it. You'll either be amused like me, or else worry about my sick friend who came up with the idea. Stay tuned!


2 comments:

Katie Kleber said...

i resemble that remark--sick, indeed!

ok, now, i really like the first card, nice subtle colors, etc. i am not sure that i like the second color-combo, but i like the card.

hope the camera takes a good image of that card...smile. maybe i will get f to send an scaned image...maybe that would work out ok?

christina d said...

I forgot to leave a comment last night, sorry! You cards are great. I like asian type anyway. Keep up the great art!