Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Couple Birthday Cards

My aide asked me to make cards for her two daughters celebrating their birthdays this month, so I rolled up my sleeves yesterday and had at it.

The first is a traditional birthday card, and the only suggestion I had to work with was that her favorite color is red. For some reason I was drawn to Riding Hood Red, which further led me to use some Candy Lane DSP (retired but still quite pretty!). I've been seeing this card layout around a lot lately, and thought I'd try my hand at it. The card turned out to have more layers than I've ever used: nine! I like how it turned out, though -- simple, but classy! I think the sentiment from the Well Scripted set was the perfect choice.


The second daughter's birthday is on the 31st, so she traditionally gets a Halloween themed birthday card. I started by running Basic Black cardstock through my Big Shot using Stampin' Up!'s Spider Web embossing folder. I then polished over the embossing first with some white Smooch, then used a dauber with the Frost White shimmer paint to give it a hazy, spooky effect. The rest of the card front came together using some Ghostly Greetings DSP (retired) in Only Orange, and a Kiwi Kiss scallop.


On the inside I put a panel of Kiwi Kiss, then merged sentiments from Haunted House and On Your Birthday. The skeleton is from the set Bats About You, and the grouping of three bats are eyelets from my stash. The colorful bats on the right are from SU!'s wonderful new Bat punch. I used a sponge to grunge the edges a bit:


And the envelope, complete with skeleton from the Scary Skeleton set:


*** Happy Birthday, Tiffany and Kimberly!! ***

2 comments:

Katie Kleber said...

we both said "bwaa-haa-haa-ha" at the same time while looking at this! how fun, what a nice couple of birthday cards. good job!

christina d said...

They came out so cute!!! I love them both but the Halloween birthday really caught my eye. I love what you did with the web. It looks so good. I bet the girls will love them.