Monday, June 16, 2014

Swaps with Margie


My friend Margie and I, like I'm sure many other stampers, both have a stash of images that have been stamped in black or brown ink on white cardstock by other stampers. Because we have just the images and not the original stamps, it's tempting to hoard the images instead of making stuff with them because we don't know if we can get more of them. Well, Margie and I challenged each other to use four each of these pre-stamped images and turn them into ATCs, cards, or whatever we wanted. Then we'd trade these little pieces of art! I'll show you what I made, and then what Margie made.

My batch included three Artist Trading Cards plus one notecard. 

1) Anyone who knows me knows I adore hummingbirds, so it's no wonder that when I found this stamped image (retired Stampin' Up!), I just had to work with it! It's painted with radiant pearls (a big item years ago; SU! carried it in their product line), simply mounted on a piece of retired Glorious Green cardstock. I've included a second picture in hope you can see the incredible shimmer. 



2) This one is also one of my favorite ATCs of all time. I named her Rosie. The stamped image was just the face, so I colored and added some floral trim for the hairdo. Isn't she charming?



3) Next up, an an ATC that features a painters' tape technique in which you take a length of tape and apply it to your stamp pad so that it picks up the ink color that you then transfer to your card or project. My stamped image is simply adhered on top of this background and colored. Candy dots from Stampin' Up! give the ATC even more interest.


4) You might recognize the background of this ATC from a previous project. It's simply ink daubed through a stencil. The butterfly is my image, and I'm not sure what I colored it with, although my hunch is that I used either Derwent Inktense pencils or Stampin' Up! markers.


5) The image for this card was not just pre-stamped, but pre-embossed using copper embossing powder on a glossy cardstock (...I think. If it wasn't embossed, then it was stamped with copper Brilliance ink. See, this is why I should blog things closer to when I made them, so I remember the details, LOL!) The large image was then layered on (I think) Rose Red cardstock, which was then layered onto a metallic copper cardstock for a big WOW factor. Gold bakers twine is wrapped around the spine of the card.


Yes, yes, I know that is five images and not four, but here's why: In addition to doing the four-image swap as friends, we also did a swap in an Artist Trading Card group to which we belong. (If you'd like more information about this group, please let me know!) So one of the ATCs I sent to Margie was in trade for this ATC of hers, which I think is the cat's meow:



Isn't that the coolest? The cat is multiple layers of black cardstock glued together to give it a chipboard look in real life. I just love the fallen O on its tail as well as the street map in the background. Brilliant!



Margie doesn't make cards very often - ATCs are more her thing - but here is a card by her! The apple basket (nicely colored with Spectrum Noirs) is the front, with the image below it being the inside.


ATC with one of what must be millions of her kittie images!
  

I *love!* this collage ATC!


As usual, this ATC looks better in real life. The CATfish is just too cute!

------

Wasn't that a fun swap? I just love trading cards with Margie because (in my humble opinion) I usually get the best of the swaps! :)

Up next: It's hard to say! My camera is empty now, but I have about twenty newer cards to take photos of - and I've decided that I have to blog everything I've done before I can make more cards... and since I have several sets that I can't wait to stamp with, I have incentive to get moving with the blogging! Oh, but I can give you this hint... two words: Raisin Boat.

Smiles,
Joyce Spear / StamperJoyce
     

1 comment:

christina d said...

The trades you guys did is great. When you get home you need to find that butterfly stamp for me!! I see stained glass in my future maybe. Margie and you make the best ATCs and cards. You both have great imaginations! I'm looking forward to seeing your cards.