Saturday, April 18, 2009

Experimenting...

While looking through photos posted in the LateNightStampers Yahoo group, I ran across the COOLEST card by Jan Webb. I emailed her for directions, and she directed me to a tutorial for a "Tri-Shutter Card." I tweaked it a bit so that I would end up with a 5-1/2" x 4" notecard.* I couldn't believe how easy this card was to make! Have I mentioned lately how much I LUV my Scor-Pal?



I started with a 12x12" piece of textured cardstock in Mellow Moss, (my least favorite SU! color, just in case I screwed up on my first attempt at this project). I pulled out my Recollections designer paper from the "olden days" when SU! offered prints on just one side.



The butterfly stamp is by Hero Arts.



Here's the front of the card, approximately what you would see as you're pulling it out of an envelope:






Here's a view of the card partially opened:






Here's what the card looks like fully opened:






Here you can see the center panel a little better:






Here's what the project looks like from the bottom:






I can't wait to crank out more of these puppies, but I have a bunch of themed swap cards to make first. Perhaps by the end of this week...



If you decide to try your hand at this card, I would really LOVE to see what you come up with! Please comment and leave me an URL where your card(s) can be found.



----------------



* I've had quite a few requests for the dimensions I used for my card, so here goes:

1. Start out with a piece of 12" x 5-1/2" cardstock.

2. Score the height of the card at 4" and 8".

3. Score 1" from the top and 1" from the bottom at 2" and 10".

4. Cut from the 2" score to the 10" score at both top and bottom.

5. Fold 1" strips at top and bottom opposite the folds in the center section.



Here's a diagram that might help to see what's happening:





If any part of this is unclear, please leave a comment below and I will contact you directly.



Thank you for looking, and I look forward to seeing YOUR creation(s)!



----------------



10:45 p.m.

HAHAHAHA!!! I just took a look at this project again and noticed a screw-up! The card base is Mellow Moss while the butterflies and sentiment are stamped on Sage Shadow. That'll teach me to stamp on one hour of sleep! But hey, I'm pleased it turned out as well as it did given I was half asleep at the time.



----------------



If you'd like to see the card that inspired me, check out Jan's new blog!


10 comments:

A Touch of SOL said...

very beautiful...what are the measurements to end up with you size card...

Roz said...

love this card joyce...now I am motivated to try one of my own. HUGS!

Aloha Jan said...

Joyce, Wow and wow!!! Now I am motivated to create more cards like this. They are so fun!

Guess what! My blog (thanks to your motivation) is standing up on wobbly legs... you can find me at

www.sunnysideofcrafting.com

I am still trying to figure the ins/outs of blogging.

Jan Webb

Shirley said...

Love your card - mine can be found in the SCS member gallery under SBG

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=81738

Shirley said...

Love this card - so easy to make - my sample can be found at SCS member gallery under SBG



http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=81738

rush8888 said...

if i have to come up there for a one-to-one tutorial, i am gonna be mad!!!! i will try to do one of these on my own. if i fail miserably, i will be up...and i won't tell you i'm coming. so there! and more!

Wendy said...

Just had to make this card! I posted my version on my blog at www.comfortablyworn.blogspot.com

Thanks for the great idea!

Carolyn said...

Glad you enjoyed the project on my site by Ellen - what a lovely card.

There are lots more projects on there if you fancy giving another ago! :)

www.Craftsbycarolyn.co.uk

Carolyn

christina d said...

I love it and now I'm going to try one of my own. Of course I don't have a scor-pal so it'll take me a little longer to do but it will be fun.

Diane said...

I have cased your technique on my blog http://ladydisstampingspot.blogspot.com/