Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fabric Butterfly Cards...

... 23 of them, to be exact!  This is the biggest project I've undertaken for some time, but I'm really pleased with the results!  I don't remember what the catalyst was, but about six months ago I got a wild hair to see what it would be like to work with fabric on cards, something I'd never done before.  My friend Debbie (Hi, Debbie!) sent me some fabric scraps from a cool project she's been working on, and I bought some additional Stampin' Up! fabric for a song from their Clearance rack.  I did a little homework to determine which adhesive would be best to adhere fabric to card stock and decided to work with Stampin' Up!'s Multi-Purpose Adhesive Sheets, which turned out to be a great choice.  Then I got involved with other projects until the end of February.  Once I got started back on the fabric idea, I went a little overboard in cutting out fabric butterflies using my Big Shot machine and the Beautiful Butterflies Sizzix Bigz die from Stampin' Up! -- and that's the reason I wound up making 23 cards.  I'm posting them all here just so you can see the variety of colors and sentiments I used:





















This is what most of the insides look like:


One of the fabric designs Debbie gave me was bright colored butterflies on a white background, and many of them were oversized.  I decided to do something a little different with these butterflies and use a black card base:





These turned out to be my favorite, as all I did was add accents with a white gel pen:




I don't know for certain what my next project will be, but I can guarantee you it won't be quite such an ordeal!  I suppose I should work on my April Artist Trading Cards next, but we'll see what happens.

Smiles,
Joyce Spear (a.k.a. StamperJoyce)
      

7 comments:

rush said...

love the butterflies...and you worked with fabric???!!! will wonders ever cease?

rush said...

love the butterflies...and you worked with fabric???!!! will wonders ever cease?

christina d said...

Love those cards. They all came out great!

Unknown said...

Love these Butterflies...of course you know im biased as I love anything with them..lol..also I love most of what you do anyway..great job girlfriend..keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Love the butterflies but you know I am biased when it comes to them..lol..great job..keep up the good work girlfriend

Lori Comeau said...

Wow, those are great. What a perfect background with the clouds. Was it hard to cut the fabric? I keep thinking that cutting the fabric it will fray at the ends.

http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Joyce Spear said...

Thanks, Lori! To be honest, the clouds background was almost more work than cutting the fabric butterflies. The hardest part about the butterflies was adhering the fabric to the Multi-Purpose adhesive sheets before cutting them out using a Sizzix die and my Big Shot. This adhesive keeps the diecut edges of the fabric from fraying. The backgrounds weren't hard, but were rather time-consuming; each Whisper White piece of card stock was run through the Big Shot with the Cloud embossing folder and then I used my sponge daubers to add the blue. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed looking at them! :)