Thursday, July 28, 2016

Birthday Cards for Two Cool Kids

My stamping buddy and friend Carey mentioned in a recent conversation that her middle son was having a birthday and entering into his teen years this year, and his younger brother would be turning 11 three days later. Since the new teenager really likes the card I made for him in January and even keeps it on display beside his bed, I decided I would make another display-worthy card to celebrate his birthday.

I remembered that he likes cats, the color blue, and ice cream (we have so much in common!), so that was my starting point. Long story short, he ended up with a shaker card full of kitties!

(Click on picture for a closer look.)

Close-up of the kitties with their ice cream cones:


Stamp sets: Christmas Cats by SSS, front sentiment by Stampin' Up!, and the inside sentiment from Playful Kittens by SSS

Colors: Pool Party, Mint Macaron, Watermelon Wonder, Blushing Bride, Soft Suede (all from SU!), and whatever black ink pad I had handy, most likely either VersaFine Black Onyx or Memento Tuxedo Black, both of which are my go-to black inkpads these days

Paper: Pool Party card base, Mint Macaron inside balloon, and SU!'s Birthday Bouquet DSP from the most recent Occasions mini catalog

Accessories: VersaMark ink + WOW! clear gloss super fine embossing powder; shaker guts (a combination of sequins from Pretty Pink Posh and Darice, stars and tinsel from Martha Stewart, and a bunch of wee kitties created with a die from Impression Obsession); dies that coordinate with Christmas Cats; Balloon die set from Simon Says Stamp; silver and white baker's twine; and foam adhesive strips from SU!

Here's the inside:


I had a moment of brilliance when I thought of cutting out ice cream cones from the DSP and giving them to the cats to hold.

----------

Today's second card was designed for the youngest brother whose favorite color is yellow.


Stamps: Party Pachyderms (Lil' inker Designs), Big Scripty Greetings (SSS), Gradation background stamp (Impression Obsession)

Colors: Dandelion, Danube Blue, Love Letter, Bamboo Leaves, Grape Jelly, Lilac Posies, Tangelo (Memento)

Paper: Daffodil Delight, Pool Party (SU!)

Accessories: Party Pachyderms dies, WOW! clear gloss super fine embossing powder


This was a really fun card to put together, maybe because it's so simple, or maybe because I stretched myself to use my Memento inks instead of my usual Stampin' Up! pads. I think it's good to try different brands, but at the end of the day I'm a Stampin' Up! girl at heart.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
With this post I am finally caught up with blogging several months worth of cards, so now I need to go make new ones... yay! I hope those of you on email enjoyed finding something from me in your inbox every day for a week. I haven't posted this regularly for a long time, and it felt good. I miss my little buddy Chris who faithfully commented on every post, but she passed away in June so now I'm acting on faith that you guys are out there and breathing. I hope you'll consider leaving a comment every once in a blue moon, even if it's just to say hello. Anytime you have questions about a product or technique I will do my best to answer them in a helpful way.

I'm currently working on a thank-you card using some Michael Strong stamps, and I think it'll turn out great. Lots of other birthdays are coming up in the second half of the year, especially in August and September. (I'm a virgo myself, so do virgos naturally attract other virgos as friends?) I owe thank you cards to several people, and then the Christmas / winter holiday season will be upon us. And somewhere in the middle of all that I hope to be working every so often on my art journal, too... so barring health issues I should have lots of eye candy (the artsy type, lol) for you.

Thanks for stopping by!

Contented Smiles,
Joyce Spear a.k.a. Stamper Joyce
         

3 comments:

Jennifer Hovermale said...

These are very adorable! The first card is so adorable with a balloon and fish tank all in one!! I have never heard of Michael Strong brand stamps. I will have to look them up. You did a great job!! (Sorry I don't comment often, but I always read your emails. I just receive about 30+emails a day.) ~Luv2stamp on SN

Stamping Bandit said...

They love their cards so much. Thank you for brightening their day!

Kevin said...

O...M...G, love the little kitty cut outs as part of a shaker card! How clever is that!