Monday, February 25, 2008

Rub-ons!!

Yesterday I broke into my new SU! rub-ons (the FREE Love and Happiness set being offered as part of this year's Sale-a-Bration promo)... and I gotta say, I'm in love! I'm astonished at how easy they are to use and how good they look; and I'm tickled pink that I got TWO sets of these rub-ons -- and I may go for a third if I can scrape up the funds for another $50 order.



I've made four cards so far, all using the Cutie Pie double-sided designer paper and coordinating color cardstock. This was my first time using rub-ons since I was a kid and got some Beatles Yellow Submarine Blue Meanie rub-ons in a cereal box. (I probably just dated myself there, haha.) I took my upline's suggestion on my first card to use a stylus to rub with instead of the high-tech popsicle stick provided with the kit, but I had better luck with the popsicle stick on subsequent cards. With the stylus, the rub-on looks sort of embossed into the paper, while with the popsicle stick I got a nice, smooth rub, no indents.



I really like how the black contrasts with the bright colors on this first card. Card base is So Saffron, and I'm almost embarrassed at how easy this card was to make.






I used Certainly Celery as the base for this next card. Versamarked background flowers are from the Just Like You set. A quick punch with the Word Window, and ta-da!, card was done. How cool is this?






The Love and Happiness rub-on set includes four sheets, one each of black, white, old olive, and chocolate chip rub-ons in the same design. I decided to try my hand using some white ones on Rose Red cardstock, and I love love love how it turned out!






Here's a close-up of the rub-on. I hope the pic shows just how crisp it looks.






I'm not so sure about this next card, but I'll chalk it up to experimentation. Card base is Bashful Blue, ribbon is double-stitched Purely Pomegranite (close enough to Rose Red to pull it off, I think), and I used a rub-on on the ribbon itself. It worked great! My 2-way glue pen threw up on the card, so I have Dazzling Diamonds glitter in more places than planned. (It was a case of operator error... I don't blame the glue pen.) Hey, ain't it neat how the scalloped rub-on fits perfectly into the SU! scallop punch? I startled the cat when I noticed this, I was so excited (*grin*).






I want to keep working on my rub-on/Cutie Pie cards, but I have to tackle the mess on my bed first. I had my home health aide pile everything that was in my "hell hole" on the floor onto the bed so that I would be forced to deal with it before I hit the sack tonight. At the moment I'm regretting that brainiac idea, but I'm sure it'll be nice to have things put away when I get up in the morning (assuming I don't just dump everything on the floor at bedtime!) Wish me luck!




No comments: