Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Playing with Washi Tape

Washi tape is COOL! I have all of the washi tapes from Stampin' Up! as well as plenty from other places, so I figured I was due for a washi session. I had fun putting together these six cards, and hope you enjoy them as well. The thing that stands out to me with washi tape is its simplicity -- how easy it is to use. That being said, I did have a bit of a learning curve, so I'll share with you a few things I discovered.

Card 1:  The first thing I learned was that washi tape makes great backgrounds! I started by placing one strip of tape at an angle, and from there it was easy enough to keep the angle by butting subsequent strips up against what was already laid down. I also learned that while many cards I've seen with washi tape sport torn-off ends, I prefer a cleaner look. The beauty of this card is that I could tuck the ends under the top panel, which both leaves a clean appearance and holds the tape down more firmly. I'm not sure I like the white doily die cut on top of the printed washi, and if I had to do the card over I'd put a solid cardstock circle under the doily. Live and learn!




(Click to enlarge any photo.)

Card 2:  Washi tape also makes a nice edging on a card or card layer. The sentiment on the front of this card is from Stampin' Up!'s second photopolymer stamp set, Bombs Away Birthday, destined to be a classic. I don't remember offhand which set the inside sentiment is from, (and I'll look it up if anyone needs to know), but I decided to use a kinder, gentler one.





Card 3:  This card uses SU! washi tape, as does the card directly above. I realized as I was placing the tape like I did for the first card that I could leave an open area to stamp a sentiment or whatever. Not exactly rocket science, I know, but sometimes I miss the obvious.


Card 4:  The chalkboard look is all the rage these days, so I decided to give it a shot. I learned while making this card that different looks can be created by pointing the design on the washi tape in different directions.



Card 5:  I discovered that washi makes a cool border when working with an ATC-sized panel as shown in both cards 5 and 6. (For those who haven't heard of ATCs, ATC is short for Artist Trading Card, a trading-card sized piece measuring 2.5" x 3.5".)
 

Card 6:  Finally, I discovered that if you're one who is a perfectionist like me about washi tape placement, you can pull it up and put it back down where you want it. The trick to remember, though, is that if you do this too often the tape loses its stickiness, so it's wise to use a bit of other adhesive to be sure the tape is stuck down properly.



If washi tape is new to you and you have questions, simply leave a comment and I'll get back to you with an answer.

Tomorrow's post will feature January's Paper Pumpkin cards. I hope you'll join me!

Washi smiles,
Joyce Spear a.k.a. StamperJoyce
         

1 comment:

christina d said...

I love the cards. Washi tape is so neat. Guess I need to use more of mine. The bright colorful ones are my faves.